How to maintain your Aquatic garden....
Peace Lily Aquatic Garden
- Place your thumb in the plastic container against the vase and lift the container up and slightly to one side of the vase with just your thumb, this will allow for an opening on the other side of the vase to drop in food pellets and then release the container.
- Feeding the fish "betta" food (3 pellets) is recommended everyday to maintain a vibrant colour. The Hikari Beta Bio-Gold food sample package will last more than a month. Your betta fish can go without food no longer than four days. Going away for the weekend or the office should not be a problem, just be sure to feed him just as soon as you return.
- Important! Do not pull up on the plant. Always use the plastic container when lifting the plant for feeding or cleaning.
- Clean your Aquatic Garden every two weeks. Remove the plant and set aside. Remove the betta fish by simply tipping the vase over an awaiting spare container and pour him in suddenly when he comes to the surface looking for food. Never feed your betta the day you change the water. They don't seem to have an appetite until the next day. Rinse the vase and gemstones well. Replace the water with room temperature declorinated tap water (use a water conditioner). Chlorine is toxic to your betta fish. After everything is clean, fill your vase with fresh water, replace your betta with some of the old water and replace the plant. A small amount, approx 8oz of old water should be added to your clean aquatic garden along with your betta. The old water is beneficial to your bettas' health.
- Approximate cleaning time 5min. Your first time cleaning, will naturally take a little longer.
- This is not a maintenance free environment: it must be cleaned! Cleaning your aquatic garden even each week will not harm your fish. The cleaner the water, the better the chance your fish will be disease free and live a long and happy life. Never leave the cleaning of your Aquatic Garden go past 2 weeks.
- Do not use distilled water! Distilled water is dead water and will harm your fish. Always read the labels, if you choose to use bottled water.
- Important! Do not fill the vase all the way to the top. Always allow for an air gap! Your betta fish needs to breathe! Be sure to leave no less than one inch of air space between the water and the plastic container holding the plant, if the water level looks low in-between cleaning, you can top it off with more water.
- Keep your Aquatic Garden out of direct sunlight, hot and cold drafts.
- Your peace lily plant does better in low light areas. Betta fish prefer the water temperature to be above 70' F or 20'C.
- Important! Do not place your betta garden on TVs, stereo speakers or heaters.
- We hope that you enjoy your new Aquatic Garden.
— Download the Peace Lily aquatic garden maintenance information guide —
Aquatic Garden with Submersible Plants
- Feeding your fish betta food (3 pellets) is recommended everyday to maintain a vibrant color. The Hikari Beta Bio-Gold food sample package will last more than a month.
- Going away for the weekend is not a problem for you or your betta fish. Simply return to a normal feeding schedule as soon as you return. Your betta fish can only go without food for a maximum of 4 days.
- Clean your aquatic garden every two weeks by simply removing half the water with a cup and replacing it with room temperature declorinated tap water. For larger Aquatic Gardens; water and debris on the bottom can be siphoned out.
- Maintenance service and fee quotes are available upon request, (for larger Aquatic Gardens)
- Once a month remove the fish, plants and stones and set aside. Remove the betta by simply scooping him out or tipping the container to one side and suddenly, but gently pouring him into an awaiting container. Rinse the vase and stones well. Replace the stones, water and plant. Pour your betta fish into the clean container along with some of the old water. Approx 8 oz. This is very beneficial to the health of your betta.
- Important: Use room temperature declorinated tap water only (use a water conditioner). Spring water can be used as a second choice. Be sure to read the label to ensure it is not distilled water.
- BE CAREFUL! Betta fish are carnivores and they will jump up to eat a fruit fly if one is passing by.
- The water should never be filled to close to the top of the container.
- Keep your aquatic garden out of direct sunlight, hot and cold drafts.
- Aquatic plants have low to medium light requirements and do not need a bright sunny window. Indirect or artificial light is best for the plants and betta fish. Giving your aquatic garden to much light will promote algae growth.
- Betta fish prefer the water temperature to be above 70' F or 20'C. Avoid extreme changes in temperature
- Do not place your betta garden on TVs, stereo speakers or heaters.
— Download the Submersible plant aquatic garden maintenance information guide —